Hello, Everyone! My computer is up and running again after the Great Glass of Water Escapade of 2021, so I am able to post my review and recipe for this insanely good Vegan Beer Cheese Soup.
Okayyyy first 5⭐️review of 2021! This book has HYPE and it did not disappoint. I read this book in a flash. It is invigorating, relatable, and so freaking whimsical.
Nora Seed finds herself in an odd predicament. Between life and death there is a library. The library is filled with books that lead to other lives Nora could have lived had she not regretted so much. It’s up to Nora to explore and discover for herself why life is worth living.
This is the kind of book where I had to remind myself to breathe because I was so involved. Nora is a beautiful character. She’s a very whole reflection of human characteristics. She’s sad, anxious, has regrets, and has great tenderness towards her relationships. Because of all this (and a little bit of magic), investing time in this book will feed your soul and ask you to put a lens on your own possibilities.
Recipe for Vegan Beer Cheese Soup with Seitan Sausage
I chose this recipe because there is a lot of talks about pubs in the book. When I think pub, I think beer cheese- so here’s a hearty winter soup with a not-so-cheesy twist.
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- 1 package of Vegan sausage, sliced (I like Field Roast’s flavors)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 Russet or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 cups (one container) of veggie broth
- 1 12oz can of any beer you like (I actually used cider because that’s what I hade in the house)
- 1 cup of water
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
For the “Cheesy” Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Drain the water from the soaked cashews. Add the cashews to a blender.
- Add all other sauce ingredients to the blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Add spices to your liking if you need a little more kick. Set aside the sauce.
- In a skillet, add the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage. Fry it up until the sausage has browned, about 5-7 mins. Set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium high heat, add the red onion, carrot, garlic, and celery with the 3 tablespoons of water. Mix until the veggies have softened, 6-8 mins.
- Add the Dijon and cayenne pepper. Mix until all the veggies have been coated in the mustard. Then, add the potatoes. Mix well for 2 mins.
- Add the broth, beer or cider, and cup of water. Increase the heat to high so it begins to boil. Once the pot boils, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10-12 mins.
- When the potatoes are ready, turn off the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend all the veggies until smooth with no chunks. If you do not have an immersion blender, transfer the soup to a blender. Once blended, move back to the pot. You may have to do the soup in batches if you use a blender.
- Turn the heat to low, and pour the “cheese” sauce into the soup. Mix until it has merged with the soup.
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Pour the vegan sausage into the soup and mix.
- Turn off the heat and enjoy! (You will want to eat this with crusty bread)