I, like most, love nothing more then smashing a bowl of pasta. Butttttt, I have to say, I am a bit of a red sauce elitist. I am very picky and I don’t usually like marinara from a jar. I don’t always have the time to make it though, so what is a girl to do?! Pesto. She pestos.
This sauce takes LITERALLY 5 minutes. You will be blown away by the taste and it’s pairing with The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori Nelson Spielman.
This book was a big breath of fresh air. It was exciting, full of adventure, and a reminder about the power of forgiveness.
Emilia’s family has a curse. All second-born daughters are doomed to never find love. Emilia has come to terms with this and accepts her fate as a single baker who will spend her life in Brooklyn being manipulated and stepped on by her family. However, her younger cousin and fellow second daughter Lucy is doing everything she can to find love and break the curse. When their estranged Great Aunt Poppy sends Emilia a letter asking her to accompany her to Italy for her 80th birthday, Emilia decides to take a risk. Along with Lucy, the trio of second daughters head off to Italy and Emilia discovers there is a lot more to life then she believed- and maybe this curse can be broken.
Throughout the pandemic, I have been drawn to books like this. Books that center on self-discovery and being the best you can be. Though the travel aspect of this book really speaks to my heart, I don’t have to travel farm from home (especially now), to make choices that will enhance my life. All we can do is follow our hearts and have adventure along the way.
Recipe for Vegan Kale Cashew Pesto:
I picked this recipe because I like a homemade pasta sauce!
- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, lightly toasted
- 3 cups kale
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a toaster oven or an oven set at 350 degrees, lightly toast the cashews until they are slightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Once toasted, add the cashews to a food processor and chop.
- Add the kale, garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Pulse until very finely chopped.
- Add the Nutritional Yeast.
- Keep the food processor running and begin to slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until all combined.
- Serve with pasta! You can jar this as well to be stored for other pasta nights or sandwiches.